The jobs cross the educational spectrum, ranging from highly specialized engineering positions to the trained, technical positions that would involve piecing together the intricate devices. About 60% of employees work technical jobs that don’t require a university degree, while the other 40% are positions that require higher education, said Jorge Perera, the company’s vice president of operations in Costa Rica .

In 2004, Boston Scientific established its first plant in Costa Rica in the Global Park free-trade zone near Heredia, north of the capital. Boston Scientific’s facilities at Costa Rican manufactures equipment for treating diseases along the gastrointestinal tract, which runs from the mouth to the anus.